The following accident news video comes from NBC-2.com, which is the Ft. Myers, Florida affiliate. The crash in this story occurred on Collier County, Florida. It happened on Monday, January 21, 2013. A mother was killed, and her two children were seriously injured.
Cecilia Renee Douglas was driving along Interstate-75, near mile marker 88. This is also called “Alligator Alley.” Next to the the highway is a canal that is infested with alligators.
1. Cecilia Renee Douglas was the only one to have been killed in this accident. That could change due to the extreme nature of the injuries suffered by the children. Douglas was 33 years old. She lived with her kids in Immokalee, Florida.
2. Madison Douglas is 4 years old. Madison is in critical condition.
3. Rylee Douglas is 3 years old. Rylee is also in critical condition.
4. An unnamed passenger in an Isuzu suffered serious injuries.
5. A driver and passenger in that Isuzu suffered minor injuries. Their names were not released.
For some unknown reason, Douglas rammed the rear of an Isuzu vehicle, lost control, went through a barricade, and landed in the alligator-infested canal. The mom and children were trapped inside the car and had to be rescued.